Monday, July 09, 2007

Book review
OK, so I've been reading alot more than usual lately. And I thought I'd share a little about the books I've been reading and what I'm reading next... First, The Last Jihad, by Joel Rosenberg.I know I'm probably way behind everyone else on this one, but I just read it. I thought it was great. It';s apolitical thriller that was AMAZINGLY written prior to 9/11. The book opens with a hijacked plane flying into an American city. Joel doesn't claim to be a prophet, but just someone who writes futuristic fiction the way he believes it could play out (by studying scripture). Interestingly enough, he's a Messianic Jew. Though I've only read Jihad, there are 4 other books in the series that also contain circumstances that have played out in real life after they were penned by Rosenberg. I saw him on CNN Headline News along with Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins, and it was fascinating conversation about end times with host Glen Beck (who I found out recently is a Mormon). I've decided to start studying scripture on end times. It's time for me to decide what I believe about the whole pre, mid and post-trib issue. I've been brought up to be pre-trib, as most Southern Baptist are, but I'd like to arrive at it myself.
Second, I read, Epicenter, also by Joel Rosenberg. It's a non-fiction account of how he wrote the books in his fiction series, and how in the world he created all these political scenerios that eventually played out in real-life. He also lays out what he thinks could happen in the future based on scripture. It's a must read. You'll watch the Nightly News in a totally different way!
Third, and in a completely different genre, is One Hour on Sunday, by Nancy Beach. Nancy Beach is on staff at Willow Creek Church in Chicago. I'm unsure of her exact title, but she over sees the entire creative production ministry. If you are involved in creating any part of your Sunday morning service, you should read this book. It really brings home the importance of the time we have on Sunday mornings when people walk in the doors of our churches. Not only that, it gives practical advice on team building, creativity, working with artists (anyone who creates) and planning. I loved this book! By the way, I also love Nancy Beach. Last summer I went with Robert and his music assoc., David Gentiles, to the Arts conference at Willow. It's so inspiring I can't put it into words. Robert's planning to go again next year and take the entire music staff, and hopefully our pastor too.
Fourth, and changing gears again, I read Walking God's Path, the life and ministry of Jimmy Draper by John Perry. Bro. Jimmy is a former pastor of FBCE and former president of LifeWay Christian Resources. He and his wife Carol Ann retired from Nashville about 18 months ago, and have moved back to FBCE. I am proud to call Carol Ann my mentor. I get to meet with her weekly (when our schedules allow) in her home. I absolutely loved this book. I was so sad when I finished it, because I didn't want it to end. Bro. Jimmy and Carol Ann's life in ministry is so inspiring to me as a young-ish ministry wife. I'm begging Robert to read it, and he said he will. I think another reason I loved it so much, is I can see so many characteristics in my own husband that are like Bro. Jimmy. It confirmed to me even more that God has his hand on Robert in a special way, just as he does with Bro. Jimmy.
So, that's all for my reviews, but next I'll be reading Simple Church by Tom Ranier- this is one Robert has read and wants me to read. FBCE is going this direction. A People in His Purpose, and 85 year history of First Baptist Church Euless, Texas 1904-1989. by Virginia Reedy. I didn't even know this book existed,until this weekend. I'm going to the church library tomorrow to check it out. Someone should update it for the last 18 years. Now that would be some interesting reading! Also on my list is The prodigal Comes home by Michael English. This was recommended by Lainie. And, I'm planning to read the rest of the Joel Rosenberg series. Any other suggestions for good books out there? I'm really trying to get a lot read this summer before I start Precept up again in the fall. I have a lot less time to read when it's in session. Let me know if you've read any of these and what you thought of them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Angie-
Did Carol Ann work for Thomas Nelson while here in Nashville? She might be the contact person I had while working for Nicole. If it is the same lady, I LOVED her!
Mary

Anonymous said...

Good words.