Monday, April 17, 2006



Have you ever had one of those moments? You know the kind where you're just doing your normal thing, like driving down the road, or listening to a song, or having a conversation with a friend, and all of a sudden you realize...this is a special moment. Really, the word special doesn't describe it...profound, extraordinary, surreal. These words get close... let me set up my moment for you.
I grew up singing in church in the mid-eighties. Now, every other female in her mid-thirties that grew up singing in church can identify with what I'm about to say. There were really only 2 choices for my repertoire...Amy Grant or Sandi Patti (Patty). Of course, I'm not a stratospheric soprano, so the choice was easy for me. Amy, all the way. In fact the first song I ever sang as a real "solo" in church was "Father's Eyes". And that began my life long love affair with Amy Grant. I mean it in the purest sense. But I do love her, not just her music. I love her as a person. I know she took a lot of criticism a few years back, but I am not the person to argue with about that. Anyway, I'm getting to my point.

Some dear friends from church, Maria and Julie, gave myself and Lainie tickets to see Amy last week for our birthdays. It was an absolute blast. Amy sang some of her old favs and some new ones, but my moment came when she sang a song called "I Will Remember You". Another important twist in the story is that one of my closest, and lifelong friends, Sheila Davis Curtis, is now traveling with Amy as her make-up artist, and she had emailed me that she would be in town and wanted to get together after the concert. Of course we made plans, and then I called some favorite friends who are like family, Randy and Melissa Chunn, to come meet up with us after the concert. SO I was eagerly looking forward to seeing all my friends after the concert. And as Amy sang "I Will Remember You", a song about old friendships, I thought about funny memories in college with Sheila, Randy and Melissa and I just started laughing out loud...Without really even realizing it until Lainie looked at me and said, "what are you smiling about"? and I said, "just Sheila."
So that was the moment, 2 dear, new friends, Julie and Maria, sat to my left, Lainie, my oldest and dearest friend since the 5th grade, sat to my right, and Amy Grant my earliest inspiration for singing was singing a song about her make-up artist! Of course she didn't write the song about Sheila, but in my interpretation it was about Sheila and Randy and Melissa and Mary and Jennifer and Melissa Beutler and Heather and David Skinner and Brian Denker and Brett Smith and all of those wonderful friends that make up my past and my memories. It was just a moment, what else can I say?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had a few of those "moments" myself! I remember that night when you did a cartwheel in the parking-lot at the Jackson Civic Center as we were going in to hear the Symphony (very classy!!). I also remember "French-Fry-luuuuia!" and also my favorite Angie Brown Elkins quote, "I have a remark to make, I really, really don't like Chicklets!"

Angie Elkins said...

Ok-that makes me smile! It's funny that you said, "That's classy" because that's exactly what Randy said when I told him I screamed out Sheila's name at the Amy Grant concert (as she came on stage to powder Amy's nose). Some people are just born with it...class, I mean. I still don't like Chicklets!

Anonymous said...

I laughed at the part about all you had to sing was Sandi Patti or Amy Grant. I so relate and also started my "career" with Father's Eyes. However, if you grew up in Seguin, TX., you also had the opportunity to sing lots of Bill Gaither gospel duets with your dad, which I am also guilty of doing.

Anonymous said...

aww, i made your blog! :) about time! you know i love you and i miss you!! Melissa Beutler

Anonymous said...

Please, tell me you took your guitar and performed "It takes a little time" for Amy as you did for me in the Discovery School office. I KNOW she would have loved it.

Anonymous said...

Man, I smiled myself silly through this post...just hearing names like Randy, Melissa, Denker and Skinner make me laugh. I ran into Sheila at the theatre the other day and she actually told me about you shouting at her when Amy was on stage...what a hoot! I logged onto your blog today just to see if there was mention of it. Yay!