Monday, October 15, 2007

New York Trip- part one

Robert and I just return from the vacation of a lifetime. There's so much to tell, so I thought I'd post in parts. I'll begin with the conference at the Brooklyn Tabernacle. We left Texas on Thursday, the 4th of October, for a worship conference that began on Friday. We had never been to Brooklyn Tab before, and couldn't wait to experience it for ourselves, and let me say...worshipping at the Brooklyn Tabernacle is life altering experience!
Robert and I were both convicted by the expression of their people in worship. I'm sure much of it is a direct outflowing of their absolute and utter dependence on the Lord for everything. I'm convicted how in our upper-middle class world, here in Euless, TX, we don't recognize our need for the Lord in our minute by minute existence. The culture in Brooklyn is, of course, extremely different. And it made me wonder if our blessings are blinding at times to our need for the Lord. Our dependence on God doesn't go farther than getting me to soccer practice on time, or helping me to maintain my weight. These people are praying for freedom from life-threatening addictions, gang violence in their neighborhoods and their next meal. It was convicting!

We noticed there is no need at Brooklyn Tab for all the "bells and whistles" a lot of churches (including ours) feel is vital to our weekly services. Let me explain, there were no elaborate sermon intro videos, drama to interpret the theme, iworship video supporting the worship time, no cool lighting effects, or songs written especially for the day. Basically just lifting up the name of Jesus, and the people are drawn, hallelujah! What an amazing concept! Of course I realize we're in a different culture, but what freedom they must experience at Brooklyn Tab during their worship services. I was totally inspired!

When we arrived for the first session on Friday night, I almost immediately discovered I was sitting directly behind a friend of mine I hadn't seen since highschool! (Jennifer Mosley Norris). Her husband, Chris, is a worship pastor, and recognized Robert because his church has done some of Robert's choral arrangements. It was great to see her and catch up a little! The southern gospel group, The Greens, were there and they are amazing! Taranda Greene is an amazing singer...check her out! I bought all 3 of their CD's!

In the final session on Saturday, all the conference attendees we invited to pray at the altar. Robert and I did, and Carol Cymbala came and prayed for us. It was a humbling and inspiring moment! Below: Me and Carol Cymbala

Finally, on Sunday, the conference attendees were invited to sing with the choir. It was the experience of a lifetime. I'll never forget the way it felt to be worshipping in one accord at that church. A taste of heaven for sure! The photo below is of the Brooklyn Tab choir at choir reharsal on Friday night where they "took requests" from those attending the conference. Have you been to Brooklyn Tab? What did you think? More about New York to come...


3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Angie, it was so great meeting you tonight! You are so beautiful (love your red hair) and your children are gorgeous! I know Kristie is so blessed to have a sweet friend in you.

Time to update your blog! :-)

Anonymous said...

It sounds like an amazing trip!!! Can't wait to read more....I miss you, Frangie. Much love!!

Speaking Thru Me Ministries said...

wow - sounds like the trip of a lifetime!!! I only dream of doing that some day!!

Love, Leigh (hargis) Gray