Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Worship Thoughts and this & that...
OK, so I'm back! Yes, it's been a while, and I don't know why the task of blogging seems to grow more looming and daunting the longer I put it off. Maybe because I feel like I need to come up with something profound. I don't know why!!!!

Ok, so Robert, my husband, has started a blog. That is truly something I never imagined would happen. But, I'm really glad he's done it! We have a friend that likes to say of Robert, "Still waters run deep". It's really true in Robert's case. He can be kind of a quiet guy, in some situations, and a lot of people don't have the same opportunity that I do, to hear his thoughts on many things. So read his blog. I promise you'll enjoy it. You can find him at firsteulessworship.blogspot.com.

Robert's first post was about unity. Unity in our worship. Our church has been making a few adjustments to what we all refer to as our worship "style". Because we are a 105 year old church we are a multi generational family, and understandably, each generation will connect with a different type of music. So, we have recently gone to 2 worship styles. It's been a very interesting journey. These are some thoughts I seem to be having a lot lately, and would LOVE for you to respond.

The further we get into this transition of worship "styles", the more I'm realizing that people don't really even understand what the worship time is meant for. I assumed that everyone realized the minute we walk into the door (really a lot sooner than that), we should be focused on meeting the Lord and responding to who he is. And truthfully, I think if asked, most would tell you that is what church/worship/Christianity is all about. But people's action speak otherwise.
I long to see people completely engaged in a prayerful time of worship that is sincere and heartfelt. What was Jesus talking about when he said true worshippers would worship "in spirit and in truth"? He did not give us specific instructions on what songs we should sing, or what the decibel level should be. (I wish he had!) But He does want our worship to be sincere! Now you may think, "How can I worship sincerely, when I sincerely don't know the song?" Let me tell you.

Recently, I attended another local church, that is pretty progressive in their worship style, during a conference they host every year for those in ministry. I was having a great time, doing my best to engage in worship, when about the 3rd song in, I realized, "I don't know any of these songs." Well, I felt myself begin to get a little bit irritated. I can appreciate a new song as much as anyone else, but I LOVE to sing! I love to worship through singing, and I felt myself slipping into that selfish mode of, "How can I sing if I don't know the songs"? I would much rather sing a loud full-out chorus of "Worthy is the Lamb" than learn a 4th new song...in a row. But then, I had a moment...a light bulb above my head...I looked around that HUGE room and saw hundreds of people worshipping! Raising their hands, singing at the top of their lungs, clapping, dancing (a little). And I realized...this is not about me! If I could've taken the roof off that building and flown over that worship center, and gotten a "God's eye view" of what was happening in that place, I would've gotten a glimpse of what God wants from us. We were hundreds of worshippers, focused on God! Singing his praises! Imagine it with me, if you can! Except for me, of course, who had become irritated because we weren't singing my choice of song. Even now, when I think back on my selfishness, I'm ashamed of they way I acted. But, let me tell you what I learned from that experience. There is always opportunity for worship! Even if I don't know the words, I can appreciate and be compelled to worship just by seeing others do it! And the ultimate goal is being achieved...we are lifting up the name of Jesus! Jesus name is being praised! Just the thought makes me wanna shout!

Ok, now back down to earth. Would I attend that church and choose to worship that way every week? No, I would not. But there will always be songs that we sing at my church, that are not my favorite. In fact, I think the song, "Forever" should be retired. It's a great song, but I'm ready to move on...if we sing that song on Sunday, should I cross my arms and refuse to sing? Shame on me if I do! No, I should focus on that song in a new way. David paid for the threshing floor in Jerusalem, which later became the Temple Mound, because he did not want to offer God that which cost him nothing. It may actually cost me a little more to praise the Lord through a song that's not my favorite. But I will still praise. I want to sacrifice, I want to be earnest, I want to focus on Him! If my pastor or worship pastor leads me to sing, "I Surrender All" or "Mighty to Save", I will give all I have as I sing it, and not think about whether or not I am enjoying it. I won't focus on how old the song is or how new. I'll just praise. That's my challenge to you...let's just praise. Forget about our personal preferences and give all we've got this Sunday. Will you?

4 comments:

Barbara said...

Ow, Ow, Ow, my toes are hurting :)

Thanks, Angie. Something to ponder on. I must confess that I feel the same way about some of the songs that seem to repeat over and over...and Herb sets me straight! And after all, in heaven we may only be singing one song over and over, forever and ever!

Angie Elkins said...

Good point Barb!Can you imagine standing cross armed and silent in heaven? I don't think so! And it won't be because God picks our favorite songs...we'll be singing HIS favorite songs!

Keepin' Up with the Joneses said...

Thanks for sharing Angie. What a tragedy that we stand silent (or upset) when the name of the Lord is being praised. I still love that song about coming back to the heart of worship...its not about me!

Genny said...

You are so right. I needed to hear this and I'm going to recommend a few others read it, too. It never hurts to be reminded that it's not about us!